2008's news archive
2008-12-20 -- moneyGuru 1.3.1 released (link)
- Improved QIF imports.
2008-12-13 -- Budgeting (link)
I released moneyGuru 1.3.0 today. It has budgeting and improved graphs that clearly distinguishes between past and future data.
2008-12-13 -- moneyGuru 1.3.0 released (link)
- Added budgeting.
- Added a "Year to date" date range.
- Added a Today shortcut for date range navigation.
- Improved graphs so they clearly distinguish between past data and future data.
- Improved the reconciliation warning so it gives the option to continue the action without losing reconciliation.
- Fixed a pie chart inaccuracy in multiple currencies contexts.
- Fixed a bug causing scheduled transaction not to show up in searches.
- The selected date range type is now remembered between sessions.
2008-11-27 -- moneyGuru 1.2.3 released (link)
- Added support for the Egyptian pound.
- Fixed a bug causing moneyGuru to not start at all on systems with an unusual date format.
2008-11-22 -- moneyGuru 1.2.2 released (link)
- Improved QIF imports.
2008-11-09 -- moneyGuru 1.2.1 released (link)
- Added support for the Bahraini dinar.
- Fixed an autofill glitch.
- The native currency now falls back to USD if the system currency is not supported.
2008-11-03 -- Scheduled Transactions (link)
I released moneyGuru 1.2.0 today. It has scheduled transactions, improved bar charts, font size preference and it remembers columns size and position between session. moneyGuru's price will go up to 39.95 Friday.
2008-11-03 -- moneyGuru 1.2.0 released (link)
- Added scheduled transactions.
- Added a font size preference for tables and sheets.
- Improved weekly bar chart by completing the bars over the date range limits.
- Columns position and width are now remembered between sessions.
2008-10-11 -- moneyGuru 1.1.5 released (link)
- Fixed an issue with Export to QIF.
- Fixed an amount formatting issue.
2008-10-05 -- moneyGuru 1.1.4 released (link)
- Fixed an issue with completion in the split table.
2008-10-04 -- moneyGuru 1.1.3 released (link)
- Fixed issues with the Transaction Info panel.
- Fixed issues with the pie charts.
2008-09-17 -- moneyGuru 1.1.2 released (link)
- Improved OFX imports.
2008-09-10 -- moneyGuru 1.1.1 released (link)
- Fixed an occasional crash when undoing.
2008-09-10 -- dupeGuru 2.6.0 released (link)
- Added a small file threshold preference.
- Added a notice in the status bar when matches were discarded during the scan.
- Improved duplicate prioritization (smartly chooses which file you will keep).
- Improved scan progress feedback.
- Improved responsiveness of the user interface for certain actions.
2008-09-08 -- Pie Charts (link)
I released moneyGuru 1.1.0 today. It has pie charts, new transaction filters and account exclusion. moneyGuru's price will go up to 34.95 Wednesday.
2008-09-08 -- moneyGuru 1.1.0 released (link)
- Added assets, liabilities, income and expenses pie charts.
- Added the ability to exclude accounts from totals and charts.
- Added Income, Expenses and Transfers filters in the Transactions and Account views.
- Added view options for charts.
- Improved OFX imports.
- Fixed a crash sometimes happening when editing dates.
2008-09-03 -- Get Satisfaction (link)
I just finished setting up my website at Get Satisfaction,a spiffy website for community oriented customer service. I hope it will take off the ground and be the main HS support method in a near future.
E-mail support works, but I often get the same questions. Or sometimes, I get bug reports from more than one person about the same bug. I often receive some great suggestions, but it's from one person at a time. If people can go on the website and see that idea, they could say "I like this idea too!" and contribute to shape it up.
I always tried to avoid the forums thing. There are so many shareware forums out there that are ghost towns. Signing up for yet-another-forum-with-those-archaic-search-functions is just pain in my opinion. Oh, and the spam. I never had to manage spam in a forum, but it seems awful. The search in Get Satisfaction seems to work rather well. You can type your query in a natural english form question and the result you get are pretty relevant. I have to admit that I find the UI of the website a bit confusing. There is no categorization other than tags. But well, this is the new spiffy web! I guess it's just a matter of getting used to it.
So please, if you want to contact Hardcoded Software support, consider doing so through this website. Who knows, your question might already be answered in there.
2008-09-03 -- moneyGuru 1.0.5 released (link)
- Added "Last", "Delta $" and "Delta %" to the income statement columns.
2008-09-02 -- moneyGuru 1.0.4 released (link)
- Improved QIF import (again, yeah).
2008-09-01 -- moneyGuru 1.0.3 released (link)
- Improved QIF import.
- Fixed error sometimes happening when column visibility was toggled.
2008-08-31 -- moneyGuru 1.0.2 released (link)
- Added "Delta $" and "Delta %" to the balance sheet columns.
- Added a View Options panel for transactions and balance sheet columns.
- Documents now remember their main window position and size.
- Improved net worth chart computation speed. With a lot of transactions in the current date range, it could get rather long to compute.
2008-08-30 -- It had to be thus (link)
QIF import woes. It's hard to foresee every kind of QIF files users might have until those users actually try to import them. I release today moneyGuru 1.0.1 which improves QIF import and fixes a little QIF export bug. It's not hard to imagine that there will be other tweaks to make to this part of the application. If moneyGuru can't import your file, please tell me about it. I will fix it ASAP.
2008-08-30 -- moneyGuru 1.0.1 released (link)
- Improved QIF import/export.
2008-08-29 -- And... done! kind of... (link)
After 11 long months of development, Hardcoded Software is proud to present to you... moneyGuru!
moneyGuru is a personal finance management and planning tool with a fresh new take on the user interface side, a transaction system based on double-entry accounting and a strong multiple-currency support. The tricky part is that it's not completed yet (see the moneyGuru page for details on that). Hopefully, it will interest (trust me, it is an interesting app!) enough people to bring some user feedbacks in the loop soon.
2008-08-29 -- moneyGuru 1.0.0 released (link)
- Initial release
2008-08-10 -- dupeGuru 2.5.4 released (link)
- Improved the speed of results loading and saving.
- Fixed a crash sometimes occurring during duplicate deletion.
2008-07-08 -- dupeGuru 2.5.3 released (link)
- Improved unicode handling for filenames. dupeGuru will now find a lot more duplicates if your files have non-ascii characters in it.
- Fixed "Clear Ignore List" crash in Windows.
2008-02-23 -- Server reconfiguration (link)
I am reconfiguring my server today (going from Gentoo to Debian). There's an expected downtime, but it should be less than a minute.
Now might be a good time to plug Linode. They've been my host for more than 2 years now and I never thought I'd ever be that satisfied of a hosting service. The uptime is good and the staff is very responsive. The linode management utility is particularly awesome. It's easy to manage disk images and configurations. If you have 2 linodes, you can easily move stuff around. This was particularly useful today as I tested my new Debian configuration of my test linode, and I'm now migrating it to my live linode. A little reboot (reboots are very fast on linodes) and everything should be fine (famous last words...).
2008-02-21 -- iPhoto integration (link)
I released dupeGuru PE 1.4.0 today. The Mac OS X version has iPhoto integration. In the Directories window, you can now add a special item, the "iPhoto Library". When you do, iPhoto is launched and all your photos are scanned. The actions on duplicates all work the same as for normal pictures, except for Send to Trash and Move. Send to Trash will send the photo to the iPhoto trash, not the system trash. Move will copy your photo to the destination, then send it to the iPhoto trash.
2008-01-10 -- Current and upcoming developments (link)
I spent the last few days profiling (running an application through a special library that records the time spent by each part of the code. It greatly helps to locate bottlenecks) dupeGuru, something I haven't been doing in quite a while. The result is a greatly improved overall speed in situations where there are a lot of duplicates. Today's dupeGuru 2.5.2 release have these improvements, and upcoming releases of ME and PE also will.
I'm also working on iPhoto integration in dupeGuru PE, a feature that is painfully absent at the present.
2008-01-10 -- dupeGuru 2.5.2 released (link)
- Improved the handling of low memory situations.
- Improved the directory panel. The "Remove" button changes to "Put Back" when an excluded directory is selected.
- Improved scan, delete and move speed in situations where there were a lot of duplicates.
- Fixed occasional crashes when moving bundles (such as .app files).
- Fixed occasional crashes when moving a lot of files at once.