2009's news archive
2009-12-31 -- Moving to Mercurial (link)
I moved Hardcoded Software's source code from Subversion to Mercurial today. HS's code is now hosted at Bitbucket.
Happy New Year!
2009-12-23 -- moneyGuru 1.6.9 released (link)
- Fixed a bug with QIF import causing some transfer transactions to be duplicated. #54
- Fixed a bug with transaction drag & drop re-ordering where the transactions would be placed wrongly. #94
- Fixed a bug in moneyGuru files import where account in groups would not be imported. #96
- Fixed a crash in csv imports when the layout would be too "wide" for the imported file. #97
- Fixed a mislabeling of the "New Item" menu item for Schedules and Budgets. [OS X] #102
- Fixed a bug in auto-completion where typed-text would always be made lowercase. [Windows] #103
- Fixed nasty table edition glitches. [Windows] #100
2009-12-20 -- Cross-Toolkit Software (link)
I wrote an article about cross-toolkit software development. It explains the advantages of it and mentions the problems it can bring, as well as how moneyGuru's design minimizes these problems while still keeping the full advantages of it.
2009-12-14 -- moneyGuru for Windows... at last! (link)
I'm publishing today the Windows version of moneyGuru. I started working on that Windows port 6 weeks ago, but it felt like forever. Although development generally went smoothly, developing GUIs with a toolkit that is yet to be mastered usually involves a lot of fuss-around. This port was no exception.
One thing I'm glad about this port is that it tested the soundness of moneyGuru's "cross-toolkit" architecture. A few glitches aside, the cross-toolkit code is holding up very well (I think I'll write an article about that).
2009-12-14 -- moneyGuru 1.6.8 released (link)
Published the Windows version of moneyGuru... at last!
2009-11-17 -- moneyGuru 1.6.8 released (link)
2009-11-03 -- dupeGuru 2.9.0 released (link)
2009-10-14 -- dupeGuru 2.8.2 released (link)
2009-10-09 -- moneyGuru 1.6.7 released (link)
- Fixed a crash during import undo. #84
- Fixed a bug causing yearly date ranges not starting in January to go wrong after transaction edition. #88
- Changed yearly date range descriptions so that they explicitly show start/end months. #88
- Fixed a bug preventing certain scheduled transaction spawns from being deleted. #87
2009-10-02 -- dupeGuru 2.8.1 released (link)
2009-09-26 -- Using QTreeView with QAbstractItemModel (link)
I wrote a little article/rant about
2009-09-26 -- moneyGuru 1.6.6 released (link)
2009-09-20 -- moneyGuru 1.6.5 released (link)
2009-09-17 -- moneyGuru 1.6.4 released (link)
2009-09-10 -- moneyGuru 1.6.3 released (link)
- Added Increase and Decrease column types in the CSV import dialog. #9
- Fixed a glitch causing the Target Account selector to be flaky in the CSV import dialog. #71
- Fixed crashes with the newly re-enabled arrow based shortcuts. #70
- Fixed a bug causing scheduled transactions not to be counted in budgets. #69
2009-09-09 -- moneyGuru 1.6.2 released (link)
- Fixed bugs preventing some CSV files to be imported. #65
- Fixed a bug sometimes causing preferences not to be saved. #62
- Fixed crashes happening during edition in Net Worth and Profit & Loss sheets. #66
- Fixed crashes happening on startup due to corrupted preferences. #63
- Re-enabled arrow based shortcuts (they don't conflict with text based ones anymore). #59
2009-09-07 -- dupeGuru 2.8.0 released (link)
- Added support for all kinds of bundle (not just applications) (Mac OS X) #11
- Re-introduced the Export to XHTML feature to Windows. #14
- Improved Export to XHTML speed. #14
- Improved Contents scanning speed for large files. #33
- Improved the grouping algorithm to reduce the number of discarded files in non-exact scans. #51
- Stopped showing the same file on the 2 sides of the details panel when a ref file is selected. #50
- Fixed crashes in the Directories panel. #46
2009-08-31 -- Budget Revamp (link)
With moneyGuru 1.6, which is being released today, the budget feature saw an important revamp. There are now separate views for budgets and schedules, and the budgets now create schedule-like occurrences in the Transactions and Account views. Moreover, budgets are not limited to monthly recurrences anymore, and their recurrence attributes are set the same way as with schedules. See the full changlog.
2009-08-31 -- moneyGuru 1.6.1 released (link)
- Fixed a bug which prevented moneyGuru from loading files with target-less budgets.
- Fixed a bug preventing schedules' splits from being edited.
2009-08-31 -- moneyGuru 1.6.0 released (link)
- Revamped the budget system, giving it much more flexibility. #2
- Added views to manage Schedules and Budgets. #3
- Memo fields in splits are now included in the search process. #46
- It's now possible to search the Account view. #5
- Added a preference to indicate when your fiscal year starts (for Year and Year-to-date ranges). #7
- Added a Budgeted column in the Net Worth and Profit & Loss views. #4
- Added an Auto-Save preference. #1
- Tweaked the view and date range navigation shortcuts so they don't interfere with the OS X text navigation ones. #59
- Tweaked auto-completion. #6
- Fixed a crash in date range navigation. #8
- Fixed a bug preventing certain CSV files from being imported.
2009-08-05 -- Going Open Source (link)
As of today, the source code of all Hardcoded Software's applications is openly available. Hopefully, this will lead to some exciting developments.
2009-08-04 -- moneyGuru 1.5.7 released (link)
- Fixed inaccuracies in some currencies' conversion process.
- Fixed a couple of interface glitches.
2009-06-20 -- dupeGuru 2.7.3 released (link)
- Fixed bugs with selection being jumpy during "Make Reference" actions and Power Marker switches. #3
- Fixed crash happening when a file with non-roman characters couldn't be analyzed. #30
- Fixed crash sometimes happening during the file collection phase in scanning. #38
- Restored double-click and right-click behavior lost in the PyQt move (Windows). (#34 #35)
2009-06-10 -- dupeGuru 2.7.2 released (link)
2009-06-09 -- moneyGuru 1.5.6 released (link)
- Fixed a bug introduced in 1.5.5 which made moneyGuru choke on certain preferences.
- Fixed a bug where changing the date range while editing a transaction would sometimes cause a crash.
2009-06-08 -- moneyGuru 1.5.5 released (link)
- Fixed a bug preventing some CSV files from being imported.
2009-05-29 -- dupeGuru 2.7.1 released (link)
- Fixed a bug causing crashes when having application files in the results.
- Fixed a bug causing a GUI freeze at the beginning of a scan with a lot of files.
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused a crash when an action was cancelled, and then started again.
2009-05-25 -- dupeGuru 2.7.0 released (link)
- Converted the Windows GUI to Qt.
- Improved the reliability of the scanning process.
2009-05-24 -- moneyGuru 1.5.4 released (link)
- Fixed a crash sometimes happening when using the Filter field.
2009-05-20 -- The move to PyQt (link)
The GUI code for the Windows versions of dupeGuru and musicGuru has been in C# since 2006. At first, I liked it (it was better than Delphi 5, which was previously used for the GUI code), but I grew increasingly tired of Visual Studio. Compared to my OS X development setup (which includes TextMate), Visual Studio feels awkward.
Qt has a few quirks, but it is a pretty nice toolkit. Moreover, its Python bridge (PyQt) is very well done. Even better: with a few tweaks, that same code will run on Linux (I know, there's Mono on the .Net side that I could have used, but there were some issues with the Python bridge. Also, Microsoft stuff on Linux feels bad). I just have to figure out how to package it.
The main reason for this move is not the awkwardness of Visual Studio or the lure of Linux, it's rather the fact that I could never get Python's new multiprocessing module to work with the Python for .Net bridge (maybe it's just me who's stupid though). Because of that, only the OS X version of dupeGuru PE (since 1.6) could use all CPU cores during scanning. Now, the Windows version does it too.
This move to Qt means nothing for the OS X versions of my applications. Although Qt has a theme for OS X, Qt-based applications on OS X feel foreign. For the same reason I ditched wxPython in 2005, I'll stay with Cocoa now.
Because this is a complete rewrite of the GUI code, there are probably some glitches. Let me know if you find any.
2009-05-17 -- moneyGuru 1.5.3 released (link)
- Fixed a few GUI glitches
2009-05-14 -- moneyGuru 1.5.2 released (link)
- Added a "Description <--> Payee" switch in the import window.
- Improved the CSV import layout system by removing some glitches.
2009-04-26 -- moneyGuru 1.5.1 released (link)
- Fixed an exception triggered by totals line with some specific configurations.
- Fixed incompatibilities with systems having some Accessibility features turned on.
2009-04-22 -- moneyGuru has printing (link)
I released moneyGuru 1.5.0 today, which adds a whole lot of things. Among those, printing. Now, you can print whatever is currently shown in moneyGuru. You want a Profit & Loss report for last year? Just go to the Profit & Loss view, set your date range to 2008, and hit Print.
I also started accepting purchases directly in Euro, in addition to USD. With the new "Multi-Currency Balance" feature in moneyGuru, I saw just how much Paypal was charging me for currency conversion (the rates they offer is always roughly 2% in their favor compared to the mid-market rates), and that's a pretty hefty sum (not even counting what credit cards charge customers to convert EUR to USD!). Now I have to keep Euro prices up-to-date depending on the current exchange rates (maybe ending up with an automatic system), but I think it will be worth the effort in the long run.
2009-04-22 -- moneyGuru 1.5.0 released (link)
- Added printing support.
- Added a target account selector in the CSV options panel, making it possible to save it in the layouts.
- Added a Multi-Currency Balance button in the Transaction Info panel.
- Account deletion prompts for a transaction re-assignment before it happens.
- Date swapping in the Import Window can now be applied on all accounts at once.
- The search box allows "account:" and "group:" search types.
- The position of the date range is remembered between sessions, not just its scope.
- Added a statistics line in the filter bar in the Transactions and Account panels.
- When an edition to a transaction will cause it to go out of the date range, an icon shows up as an indicator of that fact.
- Improved date format guessing during CSV import.
- Added the "Reconciled" and "Not Reconciled" filters.
- Changed the "Income" and "Expense" filters in the Account view to "Increase" and "Decrease".
- Made a round of speed optimization. File loading and Net Worth / Profit calculations are now significantly faster.
- Fixed an exception happening when pressing the delete key in the Import Window.
- Fixed an exception occasionally happening during split edition.
- Fixed an exception occasionally happening during transaction deletion.
- Fixed a crash on startup when the currency cache database was corrupted.
- Fixed a bug where it was impossible to import transactions with a future date.
- Fixed a bug where graph labels on the X axis would sometimes be wrong under a custom date range.
2009-04-09 -- moneyGuru 1.4.3 released (link)
- Fixed a few crashes.
2009-03-27 -- dupeGuru 2.6.1 released (link)
- Fixed an occasional crash caused by permission issues.
- Fixed a bug where the "X discarded" notice would show a too large number of discarded duplicates.
2009-03-20 -- moneyGuru 1.4.2 released (link)
- Fixed en encoding issue with CSV imports.
- Fixed a bug in the account info panel.
2009-03-14 -- moneyGuru 1.4.1 released (link)
- Fixed a column visibility bug on Tiger.
- Fixed glitches in the CSV options dialog.
- Fixed a display glitch with the date range control.
- Fixed a bug in the account info panel.
2009-02-28 -- Screencasting is hard (link)
Since the moneyGuru 1.4.0 release, I decided to start producing screencasts about moneyGuru. My first screencast is now published, but I realized during the process that this stuff is hard to do!
2009-02-22 -- CSV import and new date ranges (link)
I released moneyGuru 1.4.0 today. It adds a CSV import feature, the Running year date range, the Custom date range and it improves the pie charts' look.
2009-02-22 -- moneyGuru 1.4.0 released (link)
- Added CSV imports.
- Added a Running year date range.
- Added a Custom date range.
- Added a preference to disable reconciliation warnings.
- Improved the way pie charts look.
- Account exclusion states are now remembered between sessions.
2009-01-08 -- moneyGuru 1.3.2 released (link)
- Fixed a budget calculation crash.
- Fixed a bug where some scheduled transactions wouldn't show up after a reload.
- Improved QIF imports.
- Improved QIF exports.